Monarch Butterfly Personal Sanctuary

Magic Wings:  Deerfield, Mass

http://www.magicwings.com/

I have visited the butterfly sanctuary many times in the past 15 years.   As I get older, I am more aware of the greatness of nature and the importance of preserving it.

In 2017,  I, with the help of my husband,  raised and released approximately 100 butterflies.  Among them were Monarchs,Monarch photos painted ladies Painted Ladies and swamp swallowtails. swamp swallowtail   Raising them from caterpillars and watching them transform into the beautiful winged angles was so rewarding.  Every day I would come home from work and wonder how many had made it to the top of the butterfly mansion my dad made me to form their chrysalis

https://www.monarch-butterfly.com/

North American monarch butterflies migrate to Mexico, traveling thousands of miles to escape the cold weather.  I'm think next year I just might follow them on their journey! I know that feeling well after shoveling the snow and putting on several layers of clothing just to walk out the door in December.

In February and March the Monarch butterflies mate.    In March and April they amazingly fly back to the Northeast to lay their eggs on milkweed plants.  It only takes 4 days from the female laying the eggs to the larvae hatching.   I don't know about you but that seems like along way to travel to get some business done and then have to fly all the way back up to Massachusetts to lay your eggs?   I don't know.  Is it possible they are all die hard #redsox and #patriotsfans and the excuse is they have to get back to New England?

Once the eggs are laid, it takes about 4-5 days for them to hatch.  They eat through their shells and awake to find themselves on a delicious milkweed leaf.



Imagine that?  Here you are, born, out into the world and you find yourself on a food that will sustain you until you metamorphosis into what you are destined to be.  That's like me being born on a pizza.  Not just any pizza but a Queens Delight straight from Pizza King.  Best Pizza Ever  Yummy!

Today I am starting my personal butterfly sanctuary.  My goal is to release 300 + this year.  

I purchased 100 eggs and 20 hatched caterpillars.  I also picked up some milk weed to feed the hungry little guys & gals.


EGGS

Monarch Catepillars


More Eggs






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

High Blood Pressure Hypertension

Anticipation vs. the Real Thing

Emergency Room Visits

Celiac Disease

Follow up to Last Post Re: Fisher cat

Fisher Cats Be Aware Of The Danger To Small Dogs And Cats